Thursday, August 17, 2017

Why this trip to Africa?

There are three big reasons for this trip.

1.  My world-traveling friend, Edwinna, always said that her favorite trip was a 2004 Friendship Force trip she took to Tanzania, which included a home stay with a local family. When I heard that the Atlanta Friendship Force group was planning a similar trip, I jumped at the chance. You can read more below about Friendship Force, a cultural exchange nonprofit that specializes in home stays.

https://www.thefriendshipforce.org/

2.  I have read all about Botswana through the adventures of Precious Ramotswe and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. The author of the 17-book series is Alexander McCall Smith (see link below). I will have two 3-day safari adventures in Botswana, followed by two days in Gaborone, the capital city, walking in the footsteps of the fictional Mma Ramotswe.

http://www.alexandermccallsmith.com/series/no-1-detective-agency

3.  There are African PENGUINS that hang out on Boulders Beach, outside of Cape Town, South Africa. I plan to hang out with them and see the sights at the very tip of Africa.

http://www.southafrica.net/za/en/articles/entry/article-southafrica.net-boulders-beach-penguins

3 comments:

  1. Wow - Cathy! This is very exciting! I'll keep my checking your blog for new posts. Have a fabulous trip! Gloria K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did NOT know about these penguins. Enjoy! - S. Mallen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome trip!! Looking forward to following. Enjoy 😊

    ReplyDelete